Thursday, September 8, 2011

Why Did I Choose Vegan?

Actually, I did not choose vegan alone, I thank my husband for opening my eyes for me to be able to see, understand, and actually want to become vegan. I was diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma) four years ago, at the age of 25. What followed was a very intense chemo treatment and thanks to my Heavenly Father I have now been on remission for a year. Unfortunately, all the physical pain that came along with the cancer never disappeared, it actually continued to increase in intensity and after being tested many times and having tried so many different medications, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Very soon I was taking about 15 pills a day to control the pain. 

My motivation
I always wanted to have a big family, but becoming pregnant while taking narcotics was out of the question for my husband and me. Not being able to have more children has really affected me emotionally, but has also been my greatest motivation. 

Weaning Off of Medicine
From March 2011 to the end of July 2011, I was able to go from taking 15 pills a day down to 6; 9 less in five months. How did I do it? By lowering one dose at a time. I have to say that I went through tremendous amount of pain and withdrawal symptoms, but I did it. 

Learning and Understanding Vegan
At the end of July 2011 my husband started doing research on a healthier lifestyle and the more information he found, the more he was directed to becoming vegan. Together we reviewed his research: articles, books, videos, etc. and we both felt we needed to make a change. I personally felt that becoming vegan is really the only way to truly become healthy, clean my body from so much accumulated medication, and the only way to prevent my family from many future illnesses. So we became vegan!

The Results
I knew I would see results, but didn't know how fast they could come. In a little over a month, I have lost 9 lbs., but most important of all, I have been able to reduce my medication to 2 pills a day, but this time without all the pain that came before with lowering a dose, and with very minor withdrawal symptoms. I am sooo happy because I am very close to stop taking medicine all together. Before I could not even imagine a day without pain and medication; now I have already experimented it two nonconsecutive days and I can't wait to have my life back the way it used to be, or even better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment